Cook time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes (plus time to let the dough chill)
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground allspice
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth.
- Add molasses and egg and mix again to combine, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and spices, then mix until everything is completely combined.
- Scrape the dough out of the bowl and form into a disc.
- Wrap the disc in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to ¼” thickness.
- Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters.
- Transfer the cookies to the cookie sheet, leaving a little room between the cookies.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until they just start to look set, but do not overbake, so they remain soft.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- When cool, frost or decorate with your favorite icing.