We love this Cream Cheese Crumb Cake Recipe! We are using our “Shelter in Place” time to procure and test new recipes! When we find a good one, we want to share it with all of you to try too! Here is one Kelsie tried yesterday:
When I stumbled upon this Cream Cheese Crumb Cake Recipe by Aimee at shugarysweets.com, it was the cream cheese that caught my eye. Since moving to The Cape, I’ve never had to ask for extra cream cheese on my bagel – it always comes out oozing with a thick layer of the good stuff – New England knows how it’s done! This recipe was right up my alley and I knew I just had to try it for myself.
This coffee cake, served slightly warm, or right out of the fridge, features a thick layer of cream cheese, and is topped with a cinnamon streusel. Simple, sweet goodness that will keep you full for hours! We’re looking forward to serving it this summer at Brewster By The Sea Inn!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the Cake:
- 2 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
For the Filling:
- 2 packages (8oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
For the Streusel:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- For the cake, grease and flour a 13×9 baking dish and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low until combined. Beat in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Add in eggs, vanilla and buttermilk and beat until fully combined and fluffy. Pour HALF the batter into the baking dish, spreading evenly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar and egg until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Pour over batter. Top with the remaining half of cake batter.
- For the topping, mix sugars with cinnamon and salt. Add in butter and combine fully. Add flour and mix with hands until fully combined.
- Pour crumb topping over batter, sprinkling with hands until evenly distributed.
- Bake cake in a 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes, until fully cooked. Cool completely and serve.
Note: Recipe inspired by Aimee at Shugary Sweets and Cook’s Illustrated May 2007